Although the GoPro WiFi BacPac has been pushed back numerous times, the GoPro camera community is still eagerly anticipating its pending release. Currently, dated as a Summer 2012 (US Summer) release, GoPro are slowly re-announcing the BacPac’s great features. A feature list was published around the time of the initial announcement nearly 6 months ago, but was taken down and reduced to a couple of small and vague paragraphs about this premium GoPro accessory.
The newly published list of features for this new accessory seems to have grown, or maybe it is just a little more specific than their original list published many months ago.
Wi-Fi Remote Features:
- Give the ability to control up to 50 cameras from up to 180m away
- Control all the cameras features including power, shutter and the GoPro camera’s settings
- The remote’s LCD screen mirrors the LCD status display screen on the GoPro being controlled
- Attachment strap (I am assuming this is a wrist strap), keyring and charging cable
GoPro App features for Smartphone or Tablet:
- Use your smartphone or tablet as a live remote control for your GoPro camera
- View live video, preview photos and videos remotely
- Transfer videos and photos from the camera to your tablet or phone via Wi-Fi (although his feature does have a sneaky asterisk on it stating that this feature will be available with a future firmware update)
- Use your smartphone as a hotspot to stream live video and share photos & video to the web. This feature also has the sneaky little asterisk as above
Live Streaming & Sharing direct from your GoPro Camera
- Gives the ability to live stream video and share photos directly to the web from the camera. This would require a Wi-Fi network with an internet connection.
GoPro have also released the WiFi BacPac’s packaging inclusions. Most of this is pretty obvious, but I thought I would list it anyway.
- Wi-Fi BacPac (with inbuilt Li-Ion Battery)
- Wi-Fi Remote (with inbuilt Li-Ion Battery)
- Remote Charging Cable
- Remote attachment for keyring
- Remote attachment strap
- Waterproof Backdoor
- Non-Waterproof Backdoor
- 12” USB Charging Cable.
This is all looking pretty official on the GoPro website, one could only hope that with the release of this information they are well on the way to finalising this product ready for mass production. Maybe we could even cross our fingers in the hope that they release this before the published release date.